Friday, May 11, 2007

Pearls for the Girls

We had a free day today which was a nice break after several full days of meetings, presentations and travel. I slept in, ate a McDonald’s Happy Meal for lunch and spent the rest of the day at the main pearl market in Beijing. The pearl market is quite an experience. Three full floors of pearls with very aggressive vendors. I held a strand of South Sea pearls in my hand valued at $47,000. (Ashley, don’t get any ideas.) In one of the stores, I was asked where I was from. When I told the attendant the “United States”, she smiled and said “Mrs. Bush”, referring to the pearl queen herself, Barbara Bush. And sure enough, there on the wall in the store was a picture of the former first lady and the former president during a recent trip to China. They both shopped in the store. (That made me feel better.)

We ended the day with a 90 minute foot massage which was about the most incredible thing I have ever done. Massages are a big thing in China and also happen to be very cheap. The 90 minute message was an intense foot, shoulders, arms, legs, head and neck workout. Seemed more like a full body message. But the cost? $23 and worth every penny.

We leave tomorrow at 6:30 AM for Shanghai. I feel like I have been here for a month – but in a good way. This is an amazing experience.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nee-how! I was also thinking you were kind of like John Edwards.

Friday afternoon here, so about time for a "pee-jo"

GTB