Wednesday, May 9, 2007

How to Eat in China


Harry and Ella Reaves, if you think eating five green beans is a challenge, try fried shrimp heads, jelly fish, and eel. The flavors and food choices are exotic, in some cases. The interesting thing is that in my experience, food is always served family style and rarely do you get a chance to truly "choose" what you want to eat. The kitchen keeps churning out dish after dish. Culturally, the Chinese take offense to hunger. A basic question in everyday living is "have you eaten yet?" The Chinese never want you to go hungry so they keep serving food to ensure that you are satisfied. Kids, the next time you don't eat your green beans, I'm ordering fried shrimp heads.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Test

Unknown said...

Harris,

Interesting posts!. I just got back from Germany two weesk ago. Two of the local delicacies in Berlina are eel and carp. I guess there are always similarities across cultures.

Chris N.

Anonymous said...

Harris,

I find your blog amazingly interesting! I know you are keeping up with current events and I figured since a portion of your studies is on global supply chain issues, can you tell how the recent melamine scandal is affecting any of the companies you’ve visited? Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Harris,
Ejoyed your take on the local food options and the education system observations. We are looking forward to the next posting.
Dad.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the blog Harris! I am really enjoying following you guys and learning from your experiences! Have fun!